Operators, if your M68 reflex sight is stored with its battery installed for a long period of time, here’s what can happen.
- The batteries can corrode, causing the battery cap to fuse to the battery compartment threads.
- The battery cap threads, battery and battery compartments can become coated with acid and locked into place.
If this happens, the battery cap can’t be removed and can make the optic device unserviceable and unrepairable.
These steps can help prevent this from happening:
- Make sure the M68 sight is stored in the OFF position.
- Remove batteries from the M68 when storing it for long periods of time.
- Routinely check the batteries and battery compartment.
- Perform PMCS in accordance with TM 9-1240-413-13&P (May 13).