Crewmen, your M1129A1 MCV, M1251A1 MCVV and M1252 MCVV Stryker’s RMS6-L 120mm mortar system needs a lot of attention to stay combat ready. Keep the following Do’s and Don’ts in mind so that your mortar does its job:
- Maintain gun card accuracy on DA Form 2408-4, Weapons Record Data Card.
Maintain gun card accuracy on DA Form 2408-4
- Follow operator and maintenance service/inspection intervals as outlined in TM 9-2355-311-13&P (Sep 16), TM 9-2355-363-13&P (Sep 16) and TM 9-1000-202-14 (Feb 99, w/Ch 8, Feb 19).
- Forecast service parts that are needed to maintain the RMS6-L and keep them in stock.
- Remove mortar tubes to clean and lube them to help prevent cannon tubes from seizing in the sleeve.
- Establish a unit SOP to remove and store cannon tubes in the arms room.
- Only mount a tube in its assigned/paired vehicle.
- Keep track of dates so you know when the magnetic particle inspections (MPI) are due. Make sure you:
- Implement GCSS-Army measures to track MPI dates
- Inspect six (6) months prior to MPI due date.
- Stagger MPI inspections to offset shortages in the supply system.
Keep track of MPI dates
- Use TMs during command maintenance.
- Complete all pre-firing checks.
- Follow the inspection and condemnation criteria found in Appendix V of TM 9-1000-202-14.
- Maintain the M3 borescope kit. Be sure to use the right light bulbs and have good replacement bulbs. Note the following NSNs for lamp incandescent bulbs:
- NSN 6240-00-295-0907
- NSN 6240-00-922-7915
- NSN 6240-00-155-7866
- NSN 6240-00-092-3186
- Properly install staffs when connecting the M3 borescope.
- Install the retaining band with the clamp bolt at approximately the six o’clock position (facing down).
Install retaining band with clamp bolt at 6 o'clock position
- Have missing or incomplete record information on gun cards (round count, borescope and pullover expiration and MPI date expiration)
- Fail to follow the TMDE calibration standards for special tools and test equipment (STTE).
- Improperly use and store STTE.
- Misplace TMs.
- Fail to conduct PMCS as outlined in TM 9-2355-311-13&P, TM 9-2355-363-13&P and TM 9-1000-202-14.
- Bypass pre-firing safety confirmation checks.
- Allow overdue service dates for the RMS6-L.
- Fail to follow pull-back exercise intervals.
- Fail to follow bleeding procedures on M3 pump, replenisher, recuperator and recoil system.
- Ignore proper bench bleeding procedures during recuperator installation.
- Forget to order pushing screw and nitrogen adapter for recuperator maintenance.
- But do make a note of the following NSNs:
- NSN 3040-00-929-4632, pushing screw
- NSN 4720-01-633-7354, nitrogen adapter
- Forget to requisition RMS6-L service parts prior to service dates.
- Mishandle basic issue items (BII), causing equipment damage on the RMS6-L.
- Have an unserviceable M3 borescope.
- Use the wrong light bulbs and damage pins and sockets on the M3 borescope.