An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : Articles
Have a Soldier/Warfighter who takes pride and ownership of their assigned equipment? Then nominate them for PS Magazine's "I Own This" recognition program. Click HERE to learn more.
PS Magazine poster image which links to the posters page at
Click on image above to view and
this and other posters
Would you stake your life, right now, on the condition of your equipment?
NEWS | May 13, 2021

TPU: How Do I Get the 500-gal Tank?

Tank and Pump Unit
Photo by Sgt. Deneesha Smith
Dear Half-Mast,

I’m trying to order a 500-gal tank for my tank and pump unit (TPU). I looked up the tank in TM 10-4930-236-13&P (Dec 12) and it shows NSN 5430-01-256-0650. I’ve tried to order it but the system says the NSN is bad.

Can you lend me a hand?

Dear C.J.,

Sure can and don’t worry! There are plenty of 500-gal tanks for your TPU in stock. The problem is that the NSN you’re using from the TM is the family master NSN and it’s not active, so you’re getting the response that it’s bad.

You’ll need to use NSN 5430-01-276-9756 instead. That’ll get you the 500-gal tank.

Want to get better search results faster? 
Click the link below to access our "how to" guide
After entering a keyword, you must hit or click the Search bar/box below for the function to work.
Simply hitting Return won't yield results.
Note about links to archive articles

If you come across a link to a pre-2014 PS Magazine issue or article that uses LOGSA in the web address (URL), use this link instead:
For issues/articles from 2014 and after, click on the Archive/Index tab in the top menu of this website.

BE ADVISED: With the migration to Army365, emails in older articles may still reflect an address. To update, change the domain to