An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : Articles
Would you stake your life, right now, on the condition of your equipment?
NEWS | June 19, 2020

Small Arms: Turning in Parts? Check SMR Codes

Soldier assembles a feeder during the M242 segment of the 91F Small Arms/Light Artillery Repairer Course
Photo by Terrance Bell
This article initially appeared in PS 787 (Jun 18), p. 39.

Pay attention to the SMR codes when you turn in unserviceable Class IX small arms repair parts. Units are mistakenly turning in parts that should be disposed of at field level.          

It’s easy to tell what should be done with an unserviceable part. In the weapon’s -23&P TM, check the 5th position of the part’s SMR code. 
  • If it’s O, F or Z, dispose of the part locally.
  • If it’s E, R, or S, turn in the part.       
Generally, almost all Class IX small arms parts can be demilled locally, either by the small arms repair shop or the BSB’s welding shop. This fact contradicts the information found on Page 41 in PS 776 (Jul 17), which told units to turn in unserviceable small arms parts to DLS Disposition Services (DLA DS).

Again, almost all small arms repair parts can be demilled locally and don’t need to go to DLA DS.   
For more information, see TACOM-SBC Supply Advisory Message 17-986:
For more info on SMR codes, see Pages 55-59 of PS 775 (Jun 17): 
Want to get better search results faster? 
Click the link below to access our "how to" guide
After entering a keyword, you must hit or click the Search bar/box below for the function to work.
Simply hitting Return won't yield results.
Note about links to archive articles

If you come across a link to a pre-2014 PS Magazine issue or article that uses LOGSA in the web address (URL), use this link instead:
For issues/articles from 2014 and after, click on the Archive/Index tab in the top menu of this website.

BE ADVISED: With the migration to Army365, emails in older articles may still reflect an address. To update, change the domain to