Soldiers, the M17/M18 pistol rear sight has new installation instructions. The new instructions will be in the next update of TM 9-1005-470-23&P (Jun 19). Until then, here’s what you need to know.
- Insert the loaded chamber indicator spring and loaded chamber indicator into the slide.
- Inspect the rear sight screw, NSN 1005-01-665-4524 (PN 13067025), to see if there’s a red Nylok® patch on the first 4 threads of the screw.
Note: Perform steps 3 and 4 for screws with a Nylok® patch.
- Thoroughly clean the screw and rear sight threads to clear away excess Nylok® or Loctite®.
- Apply one drop of Loctite 243, NSN 8030-01-620-3313, to the interior threads of the rear sight.
Note: Perform step 5 for one-piece rear sight installation.
- Install the rear sight plate assembly onto the slide.
Note: Perform step 6 for two-piece rear sight installation.
- Install the rear sight plate and rear sight onto the slide.
- Install the screw into the rear sight. Tighten the screw to 21 in-lb.
- Back the screw out until it is loose but not completely out.
- Tighten the screw to 34 in-lb.
- Check the rear sight plate and rear sight to ensure they are not loose. The use of sealing compound, Loctite 243, allows reuse of the rear sight screw. The rear sight screw will no longer be a mandatory replacement part (MRP).
This information can be found in TACOM LCMC’s Maintenance Action (MA) Message, MA 21-006. Click the link below for the whole story:
For answers to your questions, contact Randolph Sanda: