This article initially appeared in PS 763 (Jun 16), p. 40.
I saw on Page 44 of PS 755 (Oct 15) the suggestion from Scott Taylor about dealing with an M16/M4 firing stoppage.
An easy way to remember this is the acronym C-SPORTS:
- Confirm that the selector is set to the AUTO, SEMI or BURST position prior to the other steps of SPORTS immediate action procedure. Then...
Editor’s note: You’re a good sport to share this tip, Monty. The complete procedures for both immediate and remedial action are in WP 0005* in TM 9-1005-319-10. Just because repetition helps retention, here it is one more time:
- Confirm that the selector is set to the AUTO, SEMI or BURST detent prior to the other steps of SPORTS immediate action procedures.
- Slap upward on magazine to make sure it’s properly seated.
- Pull charging handle all the way to the rear.
- Observe for ejection of case or cartridge.
- Release the charging handle.
- Tap the forward assist.
- Squeeze trigger and weapon should fire.
More about this procedure can be found in TACOM Safety of Use (SOU) message 18-005, DTG: 231057Z Apr 18.
* Note: this is a change from the original article, which cited WP 006